Friday, December 18, 2009

My New Wood Banister!

I did a radical thing after I got my wood floors redone. I decided, I didn't like the railing around the stairs that go down to my basement and to replace it. It was metal and the house inspector when I bought the house told me that it was not in compliance with safety laws. Apparently a small child could slip through to it's death. Oops!

So when the beautiful floor was finished, it seemed wrong to put it back in it's place - so the floor guys just left the railing in the back. I was talking to Dona - one of my many house consultants - and she told me that her brother said making some railing was really easy!

I knew darn well that having one made by a professional would cost a fortune - especially if I wanted it out of wood - so I thought, what the hay! Let's try it. So Dona and I investigated. Unfortunately, what we found was a lack of supplies at home depot and the reality that it wouldn't be so easy. Especially for two women who had never done a wood project before - bathroom fans we've conquered, but not wood.

After several weeks of living with a "death trap" (aka the hole that remained from the removed railing), I realized it would take more time and money than was worth it. I was getting up the courage to get a quote from the guys that did my floor, when a serendipitous thing happened! Sarah Robinson (still weird to call her that...) invited me over to dinner at her house on a Sunday afternoon a couple of months ago. Also over was her friend Chris Beck. During the conversation of dinner, Chris brought up something about his own renovations at his house and Sarah said, "Hey Chris! You are a wood craftsman...can you make a banister for Danielle?" I immediately piped up, "I'd pay you!"


Kind Chris responded that he would love to try the project as it would be his first. And that if I paid for the wood, he would eat the labor - if I fed him throughout the ordeal. I couldn't believe my good fortune!

I'm not sure if Chris lived to regret the decision or not. It was a big project! And after $400 worth of beautiful wood and numerous hours in his workshop as well as at my house, I now have a GORGEOUS banister to protect all from falling into my "death trap."

Now that I finally have this piece of art varnished (thanks to Dad and Stefani, my sister~ THANK YOU!), it looks fantastic!

See for yourself the beautiful workmanship of the amazing Chris Beck! THANK YOU CHRIS!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

2 comments:

MaryB said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! I need to come visit you sometime and see your whole house!

smasek said...

LOVE IT! Wow! I will come see you and it soon!