Saturday, November 15, 2008

San Diego Trip part 2

So, the San Diego trip continues...

After several hours at the zoo, we felt like we had seen enough animals and headed back to the homestead located in the "gated community" where my parents live. But first I posed with an elephant. I'm the shorter one.







We also decided to start a side business of taking pictures for people posing in front of the San Diego Zoo sign. We got really good at it and had people referring our services to the people standing in line waiting for a chance at the sign. We eventually got our own taken. It was well worth the wait. And the tips.

That evening, Mom and Dad insisted that we go to In N Out Burger for dinner. We said, "Ok, but just this once."

It's something about those fries and the shakes. And with the burger - on top of it all...it just is beautiful. It makes you want to cry it's so beautiful!. Sniff. Yeah, I can't explain it.

Afterwards, it was an evening with the "Batsons" - well, with the Doug and Ann Batson family...we crashed their place to hang with the boys, Jake and Kyle and take silly pictures. They LOVE that when I come into town!!

Kyle, our football player, was cleaning his helmet. Not missing a great opportunity, Kyle and I took another picture together. Please excuse the "zoo bangs."






Then for some crazy reason, Doug, Kyle's dad and my big brother, decided to put the helmet on. This was the result:
Silly big brother...








Sunday was Dad's 68th birthday so we had a little celebration. Sarah made her family's famous chocolate cake (without eggs) and we decorated it just beautifully...ok, mom didn't have a big "8" so we make-shifted with 8 regular candles. But I thought the lovely balloons we got from a "bought" cake - probably back in 2001 - really pulled the cake decoration all together. Dad did a great job at blowing out the upside down 9 and the 8 single candles. Good job dad!!





Here is Sarah and my other big brother, Mike goofing off at the birthday party...







Here's Stefani, and Mom watching Dad open some gifts. Entrancing...









So, my present for dad was a new hat (at mom's suggestion). He lost the last one...As you can see, he looks quite dapper!! Yeah, I think he liked my gift best...but don't tell the siblings....









My sister, Stefani is a master seemstress and every Halloween she comes up with the BEST costumes!! I've been Princess Leia ("Help me Obe Wan Kenobe, you're my only hope!!") and Batgirl. Last year she was Supergirl, so this year for Halloween I got to be Supergirl! Here I am trying it out and posing with Mike.




The next morning Sarah and I had to go back to reality...yep, we returned to Salt Lake City. Because we booked separately, we didn't have the same flight back. Sarah was the unlucky one and had to return first. But before we went to the airport we took another look at the waterfront of Downtown San Diego to get a nice, brisk walk in as well as check out some of the artwork along the boardwalk. This particular artpiece was also a huge kaleidoscope. Here is Sarah checking it out....


My turn to return to SLC came a few hours later, but before we left, Mom and Dad took me to lunch at Seaport Village. We had some good fish and chips and a double chocolate chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Fantastic combination!!!

Then we did a little shopping...Mom did a HORRIBLE thing and left her earrings at home that day. She was practically naked!! I was rather embarrassed that mom would forget such a thing!!! She only wears clip earrings so finding earrings is a little tough these days. But in one of the great silver shops, we found the PERFECT earrings to match her necklace and to cover her nakedness. Here she is showing them off:








After that, Mom and Dad dropped me off at the airport and sent me on my merry way back to the land of cold. It's always sad but the good news is that I return for Thanksgiving in just a few weeks. And that is ALWAYS a happy thought!

Until next time...

3 comments:

Elder Batson said...

great pics! can't wait to see you next week!

Layla said...

Danielle!!!

Just got your Christmas card! We love hearing from you! Looks like you had a great time at home. I really wish that I were in San Diego- it's too cold. (Look who I'm complaining to. Ü)

Come visit our blog when you have time.

www.livinonthefunnyfarm.blogspot.com

Al said...

You sure keep yourself busy, girl! Thanks for the Christmas card. It's nice to see that you're still around and kicking up some fun!

I found you on facebook and have sent you a friendly invitation. You can see our family pics and activities over the holidays if you become my friends. Tempting, eh?

Hope all is well with you. Be in touch!