Monday, July 14, 2008

NIGR - National Institute of Genealogical Research

Yep! I was sent by the Family History Library to attend the NIGR conference at the National Archives in Washington DC. Did you know it's the oldest genealogical week-long research class in the US? And I was fortunate enough to be sent to glean all archival knowledge from really smart people about really old original records! Doesn't that sound like a good time??? Ok, for me it is...

Sunday morning, me and my good friend, Marj - from GRA days - headed off to DC. After being on the waiting list for the institute in position number 4 since February, Marj was given the good news last Thursday that they had room for ONE MORE! And she was that one more.... All I have to say about that is, Ether 12:6. Plus, I had a good feeling about it...so of course, she got in!!

We flew into Dulles airport and I encountered the STRANGEST things!! Already giant "shuttles" got taller to attach themselves to each terminal to pick up passengers then to take them to the main terminal. I have NEVER seen such a thing in my many years of traveling around the world. That leads me to believe that the idea was great on paper, but in practice wasn't quite as good an idea as they hoped because the concept didn't catch on at other airports. Now Dulles is just that weird airport with chimney stacks coming out of large mobile homes on BOBCAT tires. Weird!

Anyway, we headed to the Mandarin hotel - a fancy-smanchie hotel - near the National Archives. It's right by the Jefferson Memorial and has a lobby inspired by the monument. We got a good deal because of the conference and I do believe this is the last time I will ever be in such an overpriced hotel. Which is fine by me!! Being continuously approached by people to "help" and then being confused as to whether I'm obligated to tip them is really tiring for a middle-class girl like myself!

Because this hotel is for the rich, it's in this big deserted cul-de-sac and is far from restaurants that don't cost an arm and a leg to get any sort of decent meal. Because everything was closed on the weekend - and because of a time crunch before a meeting - we were compelled to experience at one of the hotel's restaurants for dinner. Really the following pictures say it all....here is an example of the kind of overprice but scantly clad plates we encountered. Fellow co-worker, Jeff decided to buy $19 mini burgers (he got three) because it was the cheapest meal on the menu. As you can see, they were the smallest burgers of ALL time!! I think it qualified for the Guinness Book of World Records, frankly....

Well, we got through the meal and had our orientation for the institute. We met lots of nice people and got our information for the week. It looks like some good stuff! Military records, Non-population censuses - man, I'm salivating thinking about it...

Then after checking out the "lay of the hotel" for perks - fitness center, indoor pool, steam room - we did some last minute internet research on the Library of Congress to prepare for the next day. (DID I MENTION I PAID $75 for a week of internet service???? Man, I long for a Econolodge!)

The rooms are kept at a low temperature which feels quite pleasant in the 59% humidity we flew into on Sunday. When I get cold, I use the complementary robe. Don't I look natural in it?? All I can say is that this cotton robe is HEAVY. I never want to be rich...it's just too hard to deal with...

I do have to say though, I could really get used to pillow top mattresses!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are seriously hilarious. Man that sounds like fun ... no wait .. it doesn't really, kinda, sorta :) I am glad YOU enjoyed it. Fill you brain up so others can rely on you ... isn't that what the law of consecration is really all about? You know geneology and I know ... well what do I know but I will think of something when the time comes. Let's do lunch so I can hear more about it in 'mini' detail HA!

Christian and Karen Robinson said...

Danielle! Long time, no talkie! How's life? Sorry about the passing of your great friend, the gall bladder. I had the same holes, only mine were there to remove some cysts and endometriosis and to ask my uterus why it hates me. Anyway, hope you're having fun living it up in your Ritzy hotel!

Karen (Skousen) Robinson

plainoldsarah said...

i think my family lived in a mandarin in manila for about a week when they moved there - schmancy is right - in a wasteful sense. seems like fancy hotels should have free wifi or something. i'm surprised to hear you've never flown through dulles - i thought you did that all the time on your dc trips. i love that life is full of new surprises - live it up! especially the overdone ac - it's a bit warm and muggy here in slc today.