Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day 1 - Cemetery

Across from Brad's Food Hut was the Cedar City Cemetery. I have a couple of dead people there. We had some time to kill before the play that night, so I made the car go over and check out some of my relatives.

They had a nice map available at the cemetery with a corresponding book full of those that were buried there. Although it looks very simple from that map, locating burial plots isn't as easy as it looks. With the detective skills of Alexis and Lynn, I was able to locate my relatives.

I found Golden Lang's headstone. Golden died in a plane accident while training during World War II. He was a lieutenant in the Flying Forces.

We also found the headstone of Margery Stevens. She died while serving a mission in Denver, Colorado after just 6 months of service. I'm not sure what she died of - I still need to look into that. Her headstone was really hard to read, so Alexis kindly transcribed the headstone for me!

The last headstone was for my great grandmother, Minnie Deseret Stevens Lang. She died just after she gave birth to her 5th child, Dee. She was just 41 years old. Sad...but she left a great legacy of children, including my grandma, Olive Emily Lang Batson. And grandma was pretty darn cool!

After our tromping in the cemetery, Alexis, Mark, Lynn and I went to see Cyrano De Bergerac at the outdoor theatre. Just so you know - and many of you already do - Cyrano was NOT written by Shakespeare. But it ended about as badly as a tragedy. [UGH! Enough tragedy already!] But it was VERY well acted and was an enjoyable evening...

No comments: