Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lava Hot Springs continued....

So, that night the whole ward had dinner at the White Wolf Restaurant. I had a fabulous steak with a baked potato and a couple other exciting things to eat! (Yeah, I totally can't remember). The best part was the chocolate cheesecake. Yes, life is always easier to deal with with chocolate cheesecake (there were small chocolate chips on it too!! MMMMMMM!)

After dinner, we heard some "local boys" play some country music. I believe Sarah Ward was the only one dancing at one point, but I'm sure she started SOMETHING! Then we had a DJ that played some good stuff! Among some slammin' songs (look at me try to be hip! I got that word from "Save the Last Dance") were some "slow songs" that I'm sure the bishopric made him play. From some of the "action" going on (ok, I didn't really see any of it, but some fellow ward members swears it happened), I think those slow songs worked! Because certain someones in the ward are now dating. I don't know who they are, but they are OUT THERE!! Personally, I'm very supportive of the "hook up" so I say go for it! - in the most respectful and righteous way possible, of course!! (I don't want to get a bad rep or a call from the bishop!)

Here are some pictures that verify we did attend the function....

Later that night was a little difficult and AWKWARD. Although I was equipped with a cot (you can laugh now, but I know there are MANY people that wished they had thought of it!!!), we had some ward members that love to be up all night long! Apparently, they were the younger group...they had to be. When you turn 35, your body says, "NO! go to bed at a decent hour when you camp, because the sun will rise whether you are awake or not." (profound, I know!!)

Those young whipper-snappers enjoyed the evening singing - even in harmony at times! Luckily, I had ear plugs (another sign I'm over 35...). It kept most of it out...

The morning came quickly, but that was ok - I slept on a cot!! HA!

The day was ahead of us with many options! After a great breakfast - that included sausage that some poor kind soul on the activities committee drove to Idaho Falls for - we all split up for different activities. I decided to try the hiking.

Now, you remember those water shoes that I left at home??? Yeah, they were right beside the hiking shoes I left at home. HA! Isn't that a funny story?

Anyway, I wasn't nervous, because the Lave Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce stated that the planned hike was "easy." So, my new, radical, out of control, cool, $12 water shoes were to be my "hiking shoes." Trust me, it was better than the flip flops I drove up in...

So, Tanya, Steve, Dona, Kevin, Joe, one really nice girl that I can't remember the name of at this junction, and myself headed out to try this "easy" hike! I was excited! Nice easy hike, then a trip down that river!

Sitting in the chairs in front of the Lava Hot Springs Home Hotel, waiting for the others to arrive, I casually asked Steve, "So, where's the hike??" "Up there!" Steve pointed to a small mountain. Yes, the hike was climbing the mountain that contained the glowing L that magically appeared each night. The picture of me is the smile I had on when I realized I was climbing a rather steep incline in $12 water shoes. Yes. I had chosen unwisely. (that's a quote from Indaina Jones and the Last Crusade).

But alas, I am not a quitter! So off we went! It was kind of a slippery walk. Rather steep, with straw along the way (who put that there???). The brush on the trail hadn't been cut back for ages and I really wished I had packed a machete (left it by the hiking shoes...) And I kept thinking, do the employees at the Chamber of Commerce for Lava Hot Springs climb Machu Picchu on a normal basis? Because DUDE! This hike was NOT "easy." They were odd people at that Chamber of Commerce with a strange sense of humor.

I made it though. I kinda slipped at one point thus slightly injuring my foot that I felt days later and skinning my knee. It kinda scared me - slippery $12 water shoes don't go well with steep hills. I would have taken a picture of the skinned knee but you'd all laugh and tell me to buck up. And that wouldn't evoke the sympathy I'm looking for here...

It was hot. It was a steep hike. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep the night before. I had a headache. I was dehydrated. The only thing left to do was to go to the deli for a smoothie!! And so we did.

After sustanence and an air conditioner to help dry up my wet shirt from the sweat that dripped down certain "places," I made a realization. I didn't WANT to go down that river. I was scared to DEATH to go down that river.

What?? Danielle was scared to death of something? Yes it's true. I had a huge revelation on this lovely trip. I really don't like tubing down rivers. I don't really like going down water ways that contain 9 foot drops off of rocks or other rapids that look really easy but in actuality may send you to your certain DEATH!!! And yes, I understand that at a certain "rock" all I was supposed to do was to go down to the right, then at the next really big "rock" go down to the left and I would avoid all injuries and live another day. But I wasn't feeling all that confident with the "information" provided by the Lava Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce....

Trust issues. Yeah, I got a few.

So yes. I chickened out! I didn't even get my feet wet - or my $12 new water shoes (as seen here). And you know, I'm totally ok with that!!


Still to be continued...

2 comments:

plainoldsarah said...

i wish you'd gone down the river instead of the hike - i loved the river - even though i got scratched and lost my sunglasses - it was totally worth it! oh well, to each his own adventure. i noticed that the photo of callie and travis is right near the part about people hooking up. very interesting.

Paz123 said...

Nice story.... I would love to go for hike, wearing my new hiking shoes which I got from The North Face.